FULL-TIME SCIENCE INSTRUCTOR
We are seeking an energetic science instructor to work at our Mission and Excelsior sites. This is a 40 hour/week full-time, salaried position with benefits. This position has a start date of August 26, 2019.
Mission Science Workshop wants to bring San Francisco's most underserved youth the best teacher. That teacher is curiosity. Our method is science.
For 27 years, the Mission Science Workshop (MSW) has been San Francisco’s leading nonprofit to provide bilingual, hands-on science activities to underserved youth from low-income communities, their schools and families. Our goal is to inspire children to become lifelong explorers, experimenters, builders, and creators. Programs include assembling our 30-ft real whale skeleton, building working wooden scooters, cracking shale to find fossils, and constructing fan-powered circuit cars.
Applicant will be responsible for:
1. Teaching our hands-on science activities and curriculum to K-8th grade students during school-day field trips at our 2 Workshop Sites for public school classrooms. Teaching informal science afterschool workshops focused on tinkering, the safe use of power and hand tools, and the creative use of materials to make projects in our woodshop.
2. Collaborating on fund-development, financial and organizational tasks with staff. This includes work on: donation campaigns, social media/ web presence, small-grant applications and reporting, promotional and community engagement events, and regular administration tasks.
3. Developing curriculum, activities and exhibits, building and maintaining supplies and space, and taking care of our resident reptiles and insects.
4. Working closely with school and community partners to coordinate and meaningfully augment participant involvement in our programs.
5. Strong communication, the ability to prioritize time, self-motivation, and flexibility on the job at a non-traditional work-environment to collaborate effectively with staff and MSW partners.
Spanish proficiency preferred
Driver’s license and daily mobility are required
Ability to work one Saturday a month, within the overall 40 hr/wk structure
Hand and power tool experience preferred
We offer the following benefits for this position:
Salary commensurate with experience
Generous vacation schedule
Full medical plan + dental and vision coverage
We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. Women are especially encouraged.
Experience, curiosity, and confidence in exploring the sciences with youth can substitute for academic degrees. As science education activists we are building a movement to bring exciting science to the city’s most underserved youth.
Please email cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com with “Science Instructor” in the subject. In your cover letter please answer the following questions:
- What was your most powerful teaching moment?
- Einstein said imagination is more important than knowledge. What does this mean for you?
- What animal best describes your work style, and why?